Saturday, March 11, 2006

Illustration Friday

Tattoo

A vilified ritual - The Tattoo...

As I pondered this weeks Illustration Friday topic of Tattoo, I couldn't help but wonder when Tattoos became taboos. Although that doesn't seem to be the case these days, the tattoo still has a 'bad boy' reputation. I personally don't have a tattoo, not because I think they're bad but because I've seen the saggy, gray eagle on my grandfathers arm....eewww!

I did a little research and found that tattooing goes all the way back to prehistoric times, we're talking 3300B.C. Tattooing was mainly spiritual - Early Celts would get a tattoo following the death of a loved one.

So when did it become such a bad thing? It was during the process of Christianization in Europe that tattoos were considered pagan traditions and prohibited as well as vilified.